Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Are You Up For A Challenge?

-The Six-Item Challenge that is.  I've been wanting to take on this challenge for a while but, quite frankly, have been too chicken up until now.  But after my recent experience traveling with my family at the beginning of the summer, I think I'm ready.

Here is your mission, if you choose to accept it: For 30 days you are only allowed to wear a six items of clothing.  You may have unlimited undergarments (thank goodness!), sleepwear, exercise wear, shoes, and accessories (scarves, hats, jewelry, jackets, cardigans, etc.) but only six items of actual clothing.

I've chosen my six.  They are: one sundress, one denim pencil skirt, one pair of knee length denim shorts, one brown crew-neck t-shirt, one orange henley-style t-shirt, and one red short sleeve scoopneck blouse. (photos to come later)

Today I began the challenge and wore the brown t-shirt and denim shorts.  Very casual and easy.  Tomorrow will be the denim skirt and the orange shirt with as yet undetermined shoewear.  Who know what Friday might hold?  Are you on the edge of your seat?  I know I am!

So, the question is why should anyone do this?  It's about living a more simple life; a life that isn't about stuff.  It's also about realizing that you don't need a lot to live well and that a little creativity can go a long way. And, it's about buying clothes that are made by people who are paid a fair wage.  Instead of buying cheap "disposable" clothes, a few high-quality investment pieces may be all you need in your wardrobe.

Why did I decide to do this now?  Because after three and a half weeks of living out of suitcase with one week's worth of clothes, I know that I don't need nearly as much as I have.

What about you?  Can you live well with less?  Take the challenge with me!  I'd love to hear what your "6" are.

Blessings and Creativity,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment